Find satisfying, good-for-you meal plans that are tailored to your needs.
Controllable Risk Factors for Heart Disease
The good news is that many of the factors that increase your risk for cardiovascular disease are in your control. The American Heart Association's Diet and Lifestyle Goals to reduce the risk for cardiovascular disease1 suggest that everyone:
- Use up at least as many calories as you take in.
- Eat a variety of nutritious foods from all the food groups.
- Eat less of the nutrient-poor foods.
- Don't smoke tobacco-and stay away from tobacco smoke.
In fact, for all risk factors except one (tobacco exposure), a healthful diet and physical activity are the key for most individuals.
- Balance calorie intake and physical activity to achieve or maintain a healthy body weight
- Consume a diet rich in fruits and vegetables
- Choose whole-grain, high-fiber foods
- Consume fish, especially oily fish, at least twice a week
- Limit intake of saturated fat to <5-6% of energy and avoid sources of trans fat in the diet by
- - choosing lean meats and vegetable alternatives
- - selecting fat-free (skim), 1%-fat, and low-fat dairy products
- - minimizing intake of partially hydrogenated fats
- Minimize intake of beverages and foods with added sugars
- Choose and prepare foods with little or no salt
- If you consume alcohol, do so in moderation
- When eating food prepared outside of the home, follow the above American Heart Association® Diet and Lifestyle Recommendations
For menu ideas to help manage weight that meet the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) guidelines, try our Campbell Healthy Eating Plans.
1. American Heart Association Diet and Lifestyle Recommendations; Accessed June 20th, 2017
Please note that the Heart-Check Food Certification does not apply to recipes or information reached through links unless expressly stated.
Get recommendations on heart-healthy eating and reducing risk for heart disease.
Try our lower sodium Italian sauces, made with the perfect balance of sweet tomato taste and savory Italian seasonings you expect from Prego®.